Monday, 6 October 2014

Book Review: All The Truth That's In Me


All the Truth That's in Me by Julie Berry is not a book that I ever thought I would choose to read, let alone enjoy. However, from the get-go this book had me intrigued.
I'm not sure what initially drew me in, perhaps it was the ominous title and fading face of the young girl. No matter what sparked my interest, the way it was written kept me reading. It's a book in second person! I have never ever read a book written like this, so I had to give it a crack.
What I found inside was an enthralling, haunting, and absolutely devastating story. The book is centered around a young girl, Judith, and what her life was like once she returned home from being kidnapped.She had been missing for two years only to return home with her tongue cut out. It is such a powerful and poetic story in that it addresses the inequalities between men and women and what it truly means to have no say. Judith, cannot, by no choice, speak her mind and she is found as a sinner in the eyes of her village, because she has no tongue and was kidnapped. She's disfigured. But what was interesting was that her brother was also disfigured but the way they are treated is so so different and it just illustrates how badly women actually are treated. One quote in particular stood out to me: "And what rules of economy dictate that a boy without a foot is more whole than a girl without a tongue?"
Perhaps an even more powerful a message was the idea of being truly silenced, to have no opinion or voice. Judith not being able to talk, accompanied with her story shows what truly happens when someone, particularly a woman, is accused and not able to have a voice.
This book was suspenseful, it was beautiful. It showed you that not everyone is totally good, and the "bad guys" aren't always bad. Julie Berry has created something so haunting and thought-provoking that I was left blown away.
Honestly, if you can handle a darker themed book, you must read this.
Tynnika