Saturday, 13 December 2014

1. 12 Books For Every Occasion

Hi everyone!
One the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me: 12 Books For Every Occasion. Okay, okay, not exactly Christmasy but it fits with the theme of 12, right? Right. It's my rules.
So, here we go.
the maze runner by james dashner
1. If you are looking for a book that has you so hooked you are physically incapable of leaving your chair, I suggest The Maze Runner by James Dashner. Okay, I know it is by no means a "thriller" or anything, but it does get you hooked. I'm not kidding, I honestly read this book in four hours. I could not put the book down until I found out what happened.
I apologise for the lack of picture, it is currently being loaned out to a friend.
You can find it here:

the hunger games by suzanne collins
2. People complain all the time about hype. They say the book is overrated, that it's too popular to it can't be good, or if it's popular it is not cool to read. But that couldn't be further from the truth! It is time to get over the stigma of hype and suck it up. I promise you, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins is worth it.


a small section of my enid blyton books
3. If you are looking for a book to reminisce childhood days then I reccomend anything by Enid Blyton. My own childhood is scattered with the adventures of the Famous Five and the characters of the Magic Faraway Tree. I longed to go to St Clare's and Malory Towers and the thought of a Wishing Chair was unfathomable. If you never got to chance to read these, I cannot recommend them enough. They are old, timeless tales of childhood that should never be forgotten.
tomorrow, when the war began by john marsden
4. An Aussie classic that everyone should read is Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden. Seriously, no explanation is needed, it is good. Really good. Just give it a crack.
You can find it here:

fangirl by rainbow rowell
5. In life, many of us feel completely alone with who we are: fangirls. We are often alientated and isolated from society because we have an intense liking for something. People don't get FanFiction, they don't get fan art, and people certainly do not understand the hysteria and crying and why we feel the feels we do. But we are not alone! Rainbow Rowell has written a book, aptly named Fangirl, which is centred around a girl who is a fan of a book series quite simialr to Harry Potter. So, if you are ever feeling alone and that no one understands you: read this book.

heidi by johanna spyri
6. On gloomy rainy days I like nothing better than to curl up in bed with a good book. The best book I have found is Heidi by Johanna Spyri. My copy is my Granny's older sisters and it just makes me love it all the more. This book holds a special place in my heart and in my childhood, and is up there with the likes of Enid Blyton. It is my strong belief that everyone should read this book at least once.
You can find it here: http://www.bookdepository.com/Heidi-Johanna-Spyri/9780141322568
the book thief by markus zusak
7. If you are needing a good cry, which we all do sometimes, read The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It is an absolutely haunting, poetic, beautiful and is guaranteed to make you cry. No really,  it's so so sad.
You can find it here: http://www.bookdepository.com/Book-Thief-Markus-Zusak/9780552779739
the host by stephenie meyer
8. Quite often, you read a book and think "good grief, that was awful." Most infamous for this, is Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. And before you think I'm off my chops, no, that is not what I am recommending you. Instead, I suggest you read Meyer's other book, The Host. I was honestly pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book and the quality of the work. I think you will like it too.
You can find it here: http://www.bookdepository.com/Host-Stephenie-Meyer/9780316043045

a little something different by sandy hall
9. Sometimes, all we want is to read a quick, cheesy, romantic light-hearted story and boy have I found a great one. A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall has the perfect balance of cute, romance, weird, and humour to be absolutely perfect when you are looking for that perfect cheerful read.
You can find it here: http://www.bookdepository.com/Little-Something-Different-Sandy-Hall/9781447273837

chinese cinderella by adeline yen mah
10. Once when I was in grade 6, around 10 or 11 years of age, I read a very touching book called A Chinese Cinderella by Adeline Yen Mah. Sometimes we read stories and it stays with us forever, and other times it floats out of your memory. A Chinese Cinderella, even after all these years, is something that is firmly implanted into my memory. It's a book on a young girl who is in a another time, another culture and it really opens your eyes to the problems of the world and makes you think. It makes you wonder if what you are worrying about really matters, and gives you a bigger perspective on the world. 

11. Very rarely is the sequel better than the original. But I have found it, an entire series that I wholeheartedly believe is better than the original. Richelle Mead wrote Vampire Academy and is is great, I loved it. But then she wrote a sequel or spin-off series called Bloodlines and ohmygosh it is so so good. They both have good and bad vampires, romance, bad humans, battles, everything. But something about Bloodlines just has that little bit that Vampire Academy was lacking. So go check them out, I want to know whether you think the sequel series is better too.

12. An how could I make a list of books without making mention of the book series to conquer all book series: Harry Potter. If you have not read this yet, you have not experienced life.
Thank you, and see you tomorrow.
Tynnika