Wednesday, 2 September 2015

Dealing With Stress

Hi everyone!

I've gone a bit missing in action at the moment, and believe me - I want to be blogging! But instead, I am dealing with the very hectic, very crazy, and very stressful school life I am currently leading. Apparently two fifteen minute speeches with full research journals, a Shakespeare soliloquy, maths assignment, 3 exams and the QCS test (not to mention extra-curricular's) is a recipe for ridiculous levels of stress.
Of course, everyone deals with stress in very different ways, but I thought I would let you all know how I handle it and maybe you could see if they work for you too.

1. It may feel counter-productive to feeling more relaxed or you might be trying to avoid it but trust me, letting it all go and having one big old cry is 100% going to make you feel that little bit better. Often it just lets you get rid of all your pent-up negative emotion and allows you to focus on what needs to be done.

2. Do something you enjoy! If you feel like you're becoming overwhelmed or are losing yourself in the mountains of work you have to do, take a day off to relax and enjoy yourself. Take a walk on the beach, go for a hike, read a book, or lie on the floor and do nothing. Whatever it is that is going to make you feel more like yourself is going to improve your motivation ten-fold.

3. Listen to some calming music. If you are anything like me, it's impossible to work in silence. It makes me feel more distracted and I can't focus. I often like to put on a Disney movie in the background, but the visuals can often distract you so this soundtrack/classical playlist is my absolute go-to, both for trying to sleep and the all important study. Seriously, go check it out. It has everything you could want.

4. When tackling your work, start with the easiest thing. Writing a speech seems a bit too daunting right now? Finish a justification for your maths. Honestly, picking the easiest part as your beginning point breaks down your workload and makes it all seem much less daunting.

5. Don't panic! The other day I slept until 3 o'clock in the afternoon and I had the biggest freak out because I thought I had wasted a whole day and that I was  never going to get anything done. But once you take a step back and think about it, it's probably not a big a deal as you have just worked it up to be.

6. Stay healthy. It is no use pulling an all-nigther or eating junk while you study because while that may help you get through one assignment, everything else is going to suffer for it.You will be tired and feeling terrible if you don't stay healthy during this stressful time so eat well, sleep properly, and exercise! (Even if it is only walking the dog and going to yoga once a week)

9. And lastly, make sure you are organised. I'm considered the organised one in my group of friends and I've earned that title for a reason. Keep a diary that you take everywhere and record when things are due, your shifts at work, extra-curricular dates, Birthday's, holidays, everything! Write yourself a step-by-step to-do list of what you need to work on that weekend to keep yourself focused. Being organised and on top of everything will make you feel so much better. (Please, please, I implore you, beat the procrastination!!)

So whether you are so close to graduating like myself, are just starting back at school or a halfway through the term - you can do this!

Tynnika