Wednesday, 20 January 2016

Book Tag: Unpopular Opinions

Hi everyone!

I'm doing something a little bit different today, I hope you don't mind! But basically, I watch quite a few "Booktubers" on YouTube and decided that I really wanted to do a tag video in spite of me not having a YouTube channel.

I am going to be doing the Unpopular Book Opinions Tag, which is basically get to share the thoughts and opinions you have of books that you might not share most of the time. I find this quite interesting because we don't always talk about the books that we really don't like, nor do we admit to liking books that every one seems to hate!

This particular tag was created by TheBookArcher and you can find that video here.

1. A Popular Book or series that you didn't like.

I would like to begin by saying there aren't a lot of series that I have outright disliked. There have definitely been many that I've preferred over others, but I am pretty good at choosing my books so that I will like and enjoy every singly one of them. But, that was not the case for Gone by Michael Grant. I mostly picked this up because so many people had been raving about how fantastic it was, but this is one of the few books that I have not actually finished. For some reason, I just could not get into the book. I didn't connect with any of the characters and I wasn't that big of a fan of the writing style.


2. A Popular Book or series that every one else seems to hate but you love. 

Boy do I have many answers for this one... Although I can recognise the faults in many of these series, I still thoroughly enjoyed reading them. First and foremost is The Selection by Kiera Cass - I thought this book was so addictive and fun and I could not get enough of it! I own the whole trilogy and I desperately want to read the new book that has just been released! I think that's the main one, but there was also The Maze Runner by James Dashner, Fallen by Lauren Kate, and Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick. It sort of boggles my mind that people vehemently dislike these series so much!

3. A Love Triangle where the main character ended up with the person you did NOT want them to end up with OR an OTP that you don't like. 

I'm pretty cruise-y with love triangles - I am usually willing to accept whoever the author wants me to and I'm completely okay with that. The only time I was deadset on them ending up with a particular person was in the Infernal Devices trilogy by Cassandra Clare and that (spoilers!) turned about pretty great for both sides. So for this one I'm going to go with an OTP I don't like. And that's Christian and Lissa from the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead. For whatever reason, I don't particularly like their dynamic and from what I can remember, it just didn't work for me. I also don't really like Ginny and Harry, but that's a story for another day.

4. A popular book Genre that you hardly reach for. 

This was a tough one for me, because I typically read a wide(ish) variety of things. I don't read to much non-fiction or adult books, but if we are talking specific genre I'm going to have to go with science fiction - there's hardly any of that on my shelves for some reason. 

5. A popular or beloved character that you do not like.

Simon from The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare. I definitely thought at times that he was absolutely hilarious but the whole thing with Clary just bothered me a whole lot. He was completely unable to let her go and live the life she wanted and his pining just got on my nerves. (Edit: I was reading City of Ashes at the time, but now having read a bit further along again I don't mind him. But my opinion still stands for City of Ashes!)

6. A popular author that you can't seem to get into. 

Sorry but: Marissa Meyer. I read Cinder, which was the first book in her Lunar Chronicles series, and I enjoyed it. I gave it a 4/5 stars on Goodreads. But that was where it ended for me. I tried to read the next book but I just could not connect with the characters, or the story, or anything. Maybe one day I will attempt it again as I know it is a well loved series, but I just could not seem to get into this author and her series.

7. A popular book trope that you're tired of seeing. 

The popular book trope I'm tired of seeing is the "oh I'm so plain and boring, why is this happening to me?" I understand that every one on this planet has insecruties and whatnot but I hate it when characters refuse to see their self worth and by putting themselves down they are actually emphasising how great they are. Quite often a character will describe themselves as "plain" looking, when in actuality they sound beautiful. So authors, stop being highlighting the negatives to desrcibe the positives. It's annoying. (I hope this made sense?)

8. A popular series that you have no interest in reading.

I would have to say Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. I did read the first and absolutely loved it (5/5 stars) but then I absolutely hated the second book and it has left me with zero interest in reading any further than I have. 

9. The saying goes "The book is always better than the movie", but what movie or T.V. show adaptation do you prefer more than the book?

Books are generally better, but let's face it everyone: there are some fantastic adaptions. I personally like the Divergent movies slightly better than the books, and I can't really tell you why. I think it's probably because book two and three were so bad. 

I also absolutely adore The Hunger Games adaptions. I by no means saying I liked the movies better, I just wanted to mention them because I feel like the two compliment each other perfectly and that is very rare in adaptions. I felt more connected with some of the characters after seeing the movies and it has made reading the books even more enjoyable. 

And there we have it everyone! I hoped you enjoyed my different opinions on books and fingers crossed you liked this slightly different type of post. I definitely enjoyed writing it! If you have done this tag, whether on your blog or on YouTube, leave me a link in the comments because I would love to hear what your opinions are!
Tynnika