Wednesday, 3 February 2016

Book Review: The Fifth Wave

Hi everyone!

As I mentioned the other day on this post, I went to see The 5th Wave with a couple of friends. I had never read the book but I really wanted to see the movie anyway. I definitely enjoyed the movie, despite that it was somewhat predictable with a few questionable plot holes and so I left the cinema desperately wanting to read the book.
I finally bought it and read it and boy did I enjoy my time reading it! So as it is high time I wrote a review; here you go!

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey, is a post-apocalyptic science fiction novel, which focuses on a young girl name Cassie. We follow her struggles after the invasion of a foreign alien race and gain an insight into the deterioration of humanity in some of the human races darkest times. Cassie makes the cliche promise to her brother which I would normally cringe at and roll my eyes. Girl, post-apocalyptic worlds are not the place to be making huge promises. But somehow Rick Yancey makes it work and I absolutely adore it.

Cassie is determined and feisty and strong and she is, in all honesty, one of my favourite female characters of all time. She can kick some serious ass guys. As well as being such a strong person, Cassie's narrative has a very sarcastic and sometimes humorous narrative which I absolutely loved. She could be in a dark and tough situation but she still has a sense of humour and I really like that. The book overall had a humorous tone to it which was really great - shrapnel up the ass anyone? - and definitely added a nice dimension to the book.

The relationship between the characters was quite fascinating to read about as Cassie has such a deep connection with every single one of them. From her little brother, to the boy she sat in front of at school, Ben Parish, and the strange boy who found her, Evan Walker. It's not often characters have such deep relationships which were developed on the page, but these did and it was so so refreshing (I ship Cassie and Evan everyone).

As to the writing style, particularly at the beginning, I'm not sure how I feel about it. It was very choppy, changing from times and places with little to no warning and if I had not seen the movie I think I would have been a little confused. Which is not always a bad thing as it sort of turns the book into a giant puzzle for you to work out piece by piece and that isn't always everyone's style. As it was though, even with the movie I was still super duper confused and it made it really difficult to enjoy that part of the book.

While I loved some aspects (characteristation and the relationships in particular) the writing of the book has made me a little reluctant to pick up the rest of the series.

My rating on Goodreads: 3.75/5 stars
Tynnika