Monday, 20 June 2016

Book Tag: Winter is Coming


Hi all! Sorry for the extended absence - uni has been absolutely hectic. But don't worry, I am back now (well almost, my last exam is tomorrow) and I have got quite a bit planned for the next few weeks. Hopefully next semester I will be able to post a little bit more now that I know exactly what to expect and how to prepare for it.
I'm here today with another book tag! I chose this one solely for the name (you all know how much I love Game of Thrones). Living in Australia, with winter during the middle of the year and zero snow here in Queensland, none of the questions are all that applicable but I wanted to do it anyway and so here we are. I hope you enjoy!
 


1. Snow: It is beautiful when it first falls, but then it starts to melt. A book/book series that you loved at the beginning, but then, at the middle of it, you realized you don't like it any longer. 

The book that comes to mind for me for this question is Soundless by Richelle Mead. It's not that I didn't like the ending, but it just did not live up to the first half of the book. I was so interested in the concept (just picture it - an isolated Chinese village in the mountains were everyone is deaf) and I love other books from the author. But the ending, for me, was so rushed and just fell completely flat for what have could have been a great book.

2. Slowflake: Something beautiful and always different. Choose a book that stands out, that is different from all the other books you've read

I've definitely mentioned this book before and it's for a good reason! All the Truth That's in Me by Julie Berry is so unique and beautifully but hauntingly written that I will always remember it. This book was written in second person and it was just so unlike anything that I had ever read that it really strands out for me.

3. Snowman: It is always fun to make one with your family. Choose a book that a whole family could read. 

I'm sorry to say but this is always my default answer to these sorts of questions: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins! I probably only say this because my whole family has read it and that's pretty rare because we all have different reading tastes. But everyone enjoyed the trilogy so it's definitely something the whole family can enjoy (maybe not if you're a little younger though).

4. Christmas: Choose a book that is full of happiness, that made you warm inside after reading it

What other answer could I possibly give this question aside from Harry Potter by J K Rowling? In the cold or the wet there's nothing you want more than sitting down with a feel-good book and Harry Potter ticks all the boxes. The series makes you warm and fuzzy and oh-so-happy and it is fantastic. It's absolutely miserable outside and I'm itching to pick up the Philosopher's Stone again, but I am going to resist - after all, I have to at least pretend I'm studying for this exam. 

5. Santa Claus: He brings wonderful presents. Choose a book that you'd like to get for Christmas

My Birthday is coming up soon so I'll just substitute that in instead of Christmas - it's not really the right time of year! I really want to read Atonement by Ian McEwan and so that is on my Birthday wishlist for this year. I have seen the movie (and loved it) and adore the soundtrack so it's time I actually read it. Next semester I may be studying it for my English Literature class, so that's a little exciting!

6. Snow bowling: It can be painful to be hit by a snowball. Choose a book that hurt, that made you feel some strong emotion, like sadness, or anger. 

Strong emotion: heart-wrenching sadnesss
The book: Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
Guys, I cried on a train (in front of many people) because this book destroyed me. I was silly and couldn't wait to be alone to read it - no I had to read it on my commute to uni. If I had been alone it definitely would have been the full blown ugly cry, but I tried to remain semi-civilised. I think I failed, people looked at me funny. But this is book is great, I could not recommend it enough. (Also I'm seeing the movie on Friday and I'm so excited!)

7. Sledding: We all loved it when we were younger. Choose a book that you loved when you were a child. 
This is such a hard question because I adored reading as a child and I read a lot of books. So I have thought about it for ages (I had a good reminisce going through my old books with Kiara) and have decided on The Famous Five by Enid Blyton. When I was little, I wanted nothing more than to have adventures like those four children and their dog. It was all so exciting and they lived somewhere that sounded so different from my own home. Basically, I was obsessed and at 18 (almost) I kind of want to read them again.

8. Frostbite: Choose a book that you were really disappointed in.

I don't think I have an answer for this question. Because, as a general rule, I am pretty good at picking books I will like. I was disappointed by Soundless but I've already mentioned that. Maybe Gone by Michael Grant? It's one of my few DNF-s. I'd heard so much praise about it and then I just could not get into it.

9. Reindeer: Something that is dear to us. Choose a book that is of great sentimental value to you. 

The book that holds the most sentimental value to me is definitely Heidi by Johanna Spyri. I have for sure mentioned this before, but I have an old copy with was my Grandmother's older sister's and it smells incredible, is a beautiful cloth-bound hard-cover, and I adored this growing up. If someone told me I could only save one book from a fire this would be it.

This tag was created by Katherine Barka and I wasn't tagged but oh well. If you want to do this tag then I am tagging you to do it. If you do it, leave me a link below and I will for sure check out your answers!
Tynnika