Thursday, 11 August 2016

I am out of control!

Hi all!

If you had said to me during July, "Tynnika you have bought way too many books this month," you would be absolutely right. I think I went a little crazy but, to be fair, I did have to buy some for university. That kind of justifies it, right?

I have a grand total of 20 books to show you, and 9 of those were for university so it's not too bad. I spend a ludicrous amount of money but anyway, let's just get on with it. I was going to do them in the chronological order I bought them but I cannot for the life of me think which book I got first. So I've just stacked them up next to me and I going to talk about them at random.




In Maroochydore there is this amazing secondhand bookstore along Ocean St and it is honestly one of my favourite places to go. It is filled to the brim with books, the shelves are overflowing and the piles look like they are going to topple over at any second. So obviously when Mum and I went I had to pick up something, right?
Enid Blyton was one of my absolute favourite authors as a child, so I decided to finish of my St Clare's collection with my two missing books - Kitty at St Clare's and The Sixth Form at St Clare's. These two are written by Pamela Cox but she keeps the magic and style of the original Blyton books so well that I don't even care or notice.





(Does anyone have any idea on how to get rid of the price tags without them leaving a mark on the books?)


A favourite series of mine a few years ago (even though I never finished it) was The Luxe by Anna Godbersen. I have had the first one on by bookshelf for ages and ages and when I saw the next two in the secondhand bookstore I just couldn't resist. The Luxe was actually in my July Favourites, so go check that out if you want to hear a little bit more of my thoughts on it.
Only one more book to go and then I will have the whole series!








Now that I am thinking about it, I'm pretty sure Wicked by Gregory Maguire was the first book I got this month. I was browsing the sales section of QBD not intending to buy anything when this caught my eye. I am a huge lover of the musical Wicked, as you could probably tell when I went to see it for the first time, so I definitely had to pick up the book and give it a shot. I am really looking forward to reading this actually so hopefully I will have time for it soon!










The rest of the books are from two book depository orders and I am not even ashamed...  A book that I loved loved loved earlier this year was Wolf by Wolf by Ryan Graudin. I mean hello, alternate World War 2 ending where Hitler won and a girl disguised as someone else  enters a motorbike race so she can kill Hitler. Does that not sound cool to you? I loved it so much that I decided that I definitely need a copy on my bookshelf so here it is.








Another favourite series of mine from a few years ago was Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini. I really wanted to reread the series and have a copy of it on my shelf. The book was just as great as I remembered and I still love it a lot, depsite being several years after I first read it. I won't even lie, star-crossed lovers and forbidden love is a guilty pleasure read of mine.








I was apparently pretty nostalgic when in the month of July when it came to books. Because this next one, Ingo by Helen Dunmore is a book series that I absolutely adored at the age of 12 or so. It's about mermaids and was one of the causes of a my firm love of Cornwall and my want to visit their one day. It's a delightful series and I am so happy to finally have the first book on my shelf to be able to revisit whenever I want to.








For ages now I have been hearing about what a fantastic trilogy The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski. I don't know why, but I was a little hesitant to pick it up and I think that's because of how much it was hyped. People love this book. So I finally took the plunge and bought the first one and I really really enjoyed it and it is becoming a fast favourite of mine. So much so that I went and bought the next book only to realise with great disappointment that I had actually bought the third book and not the second. (If you're reading this the day it's posted - I'm buying the second today and I am super excited. I've been waiting for what feels like forever!)







We are nearly at the end I promise! We are onto the next book depository order now, and almost all of this is uni stuff, so I am sorry if this last bit is a little boring for you. I of course had to throw in a book that wasn't for uni and I chose The Horse and His Boy by C S Lewis from the Narnia series. I am collecting  very specific editions for these (they're super beautiful with coloured illustrations throughout) and I jumped on the chance when I saw this edition on the book depository. I have yet to read it but I am looking forward to it.









I seriously loathe poetry and I am not entirely sure why. Perhaps it is because I never really seem to understand it or perhaps it is because of how little structure there is that is discernible to me. It always flows funny and I don't get it. But my English Literature class calls for it, so I have got Simon Armitage's Paper Aeroplane which is a selection of his poems from 1989-2014. I struggled, but if you like poetry you will probably like this.










I am supposed to be reading this one right now actually because I have a quiz on Monday for it - but I think I am going to procrastinate just a little bit longer. I have got no idea what Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami is about, but I think it has something to do with cats. I'm not sure though so I will keep you updated on that.








This isn't a required reading for my history course yet,
but judging by the title this will be all about Augustus and what he did during his lifetime. I'm not the biggest Augustus fan but it should be interesting nevertheless (I forgot to say: it is The Age of Augustus by Werner Eck).











Again, I haven't had to read Cicero's Selected Letters yet either but  I am assuming this will be a useful source when I am looking at ancient sources for my essay.










Here's a surprise: I also don't know what Disgrace by J M Coetzee is about. But I think it is about a man living in a post-apartheid South Africa and I think it contains some pretty heavy themes. I will keep you posted on this one too, who knows if I will like it or not.









My next one is a graphic novel which makes me a little bit nervous because I have never actually read graphic novels. It's called Fun Home by Alison Bechdel and I think it will be a really interesting experience. Perhaps reading this will make me want to branch out a bit more with my reading habits?
I think it has a gay main character too, which should be interesting. There aren't too many LQBT+ people represented in literature so I am curious to read this graphic novel.







The last novel I have for uni is The Mandibles by Lionel Shriver, and my lecturer has told us this author is coming to speak to us about the book one week so that is exciting! I think it's about a rich American family who loses their money but I'm not too sure. I guess we will find out when I read it.


I also have two textbooks for university, and the first is Introducing Intercultural Communication and I am sorry to say but I think it is my most boring class this semester. The other one looks to be more promising however and that is my Companion to the Roman Republic. I love history so this semester is really exciting.


Okay, so I am not entirely sure how this post got so long so quickly - it's just about the books I bought in July! Anyway, I hope you enjoyed it and if you bought a book in July share it below because I would love to hear about it.

If you were wondering, my degree is a Bachelor of Journalism/Arts majoring in English Literature and Ancient History/History at the University of Queensland. If you have any questions about my degree or the courses I am doing please do not hesitate to ask!

Tynnika