Thursday, 15 September 2016

Italy: Florence

Hi everyone!

It has been absolutely ages since I last did a post on my trip to Italy from a couple of years back, so if you need reminding what has happened so far you can find them here. My sister is going to Italy very soon (as you are reading this, she's flying out today) so I thought it only right that I finally finish this. If you want to keep up with her travels, she's taken over the old facebook blog my friend and I had.

After a quick breakfast in the hotel, we left Rome and were on our way to Florence. It was a bit of a bus trip and I'm not going to lie, I slept most of the way. We all hopped off the bus absolutely exhausted (and cranky) and it was straight into a walking tour of Florence.





There was a bike race on while we were there which was pretty cool. No idea what for though!

We went on a walking tour of Florence and ended up at the Piazza Del Duomo, which is of course where the famous Duomo (that you can climb) is located. What you are looking at in this picture is the Cathedral of S. Maria del Fiore and the Campanile of Giotto (the bell tower - 82m high) and the construction of this began in 1296 and took almost 150 years to be completed.




A replica of the famous David statue by Michelangelo (the original is in the museum and you cannot take photos of it). It was created in 1501-1504 and is 5.17 meters high.

Some more statues - the green one is the mythical Perseus holding Medusa's head

This is the group on the famous Ponte Vecchio (which was a little underwhelming if I am being perfectly honest but was still cool). It's from the 14th century and was the only bridge not blown up by the Nazis in 1944 (World War II).



Alice and I at the top of the Duomo - there is approximately 400 steps!



Possibly the coolest gelato flavours we tried - kiwi fruit and mandarin!


A few of us had a really lovely evening after dinner - I'm pretty sure this boar is supposed to be lucky or something.



The window displays in this shop were just stunning! I tried one of the little purple grape ones.


Florence was a really lovely city and I enjoyed every second of it. I felt very safe there and the streets were so lovely to walk and if you can't tell, I loved the gelato here. I would highly recommend visiting Florence if you are in Italy!