Friday, 7 October 2016

Italy: In The North

Hi everyone!

We have finally made it - to the last ever Italy post from my trip in 2013. Today I am going to share with you the time I had in Northern Italy - including Milan, Torino, and Asti. Basically, after our travels around Italy that you have previously read about, we then stayed with an Italian host family in the town of Asti. It was a fantastic experience and my host family was absolutely lovely. I apologise in advance because this is going to be a very long post!

I had honestly completely forgot about this, but we stopped in Verona on our way to Asti. I was so ill at the time and I don't really remember much about the place. I know we got to Guiliette and Romeo's balcony and the lucky statue of Guiliette. 

If you touch or rub her right breast, it is said to bring you luck.

The balcony

We then met our host families and a few of us went out to dinner in their town, Asti

This is the pizza I chose - so delicious



Asti during the day - it was a delightful town!

Apple and raspberry gelato



This is me an my host sister, Martina

My host family was super lovely and they took me out to dinner one night and I had this super delicious mushroom pasta for dinner.

Dessert was just as good, of course, and I got berry semi-freddo.

The first day trip we made was to Milan and we had an absolute blast. Although, being who I am, I didn't go shopping. I know I know, it's the city of fashion but I had a good time anyway. Oops?




We did climb this cathedral though which was really cool. It was built in 1386 by Gian Galeazzo Visconti. It is gothic in nature and has 135 spires (the central spire is 108m tall) and 3200 statues which were all built between 1397 and 1812. The brass doors still bear the marks of WW2 bombs and it is a 165 step climb to the roof of the cathedral.






A well deserved gelato after the climb (I think mine may have been white chocolate)


We also had a day trip in Torino, but we spend most of the day in a film museum so I didn't take that many photos.



We had a buffet lunch which was super tasty


And this my friends, was the best gelato I had in all of Italy. It was banana and nutella but the nutella was more of a super thick chocolate sauce that was a little bit warm and added to the banana it was amazing. I honestly want to go back to Torino just for this gelato. It was so good.

And for our very last day trip, we've finally reached my favourite day in Italy. We visited Lago Maggiore and the Borromean Islands in it. The first one we went to was Isola de Bella and it was absolutely gorgeous.

The inside of the building (castle?) was ridiculously grand with stunning views



Then of course, was the gardens which were breathtakingly beautiful! We wandered for ages and ages








We then moved onto another small island (I don't remember the name) and it was so quaint and beautiful - I had a great time wandering around looking at their little shops and streets. We had lunch (pizza of course) down by the water and I'm sad I don't have more photos of this day! But my phone was flat and I've lost a heap of Alice's photos. Ah well, I'm sure you get the idea anyway. If I visited Italy again I would for sure come back here.







And there we have it everyone - the end of my 2013 Italy trip. I hope you enjoyed reading about it and I suppose this means I have to travel again?

Tynnika