Tuesday, 20 December 2016

Book Tag: The Twelve Days of Christmas

Hi everyone!

I can hardly believe that Christmas is right around the corner (it's on Sunday!!), it is actually incredible how quickly this year has flown by. In honour of Christmas, I thought it would make sense to do a book tag this month that matched the theme of Christmas. As such, I am doing the Twelve Days of Christmas book tag - I'm sorry, I can't actually link anything because I've taken a few different variations so maybe just google it if you would like to see more.

A partridge in a pear tree / favourite standalone book
Well this is actually quite difficult - I don't read too many standalone's (I've just gone through my Goodreads and that was a complete lie). I think I might say The Light Between Oceans by M L Stedman because it was such a beautiful book and I have honestly never cried harder over a work of fiction.

Two turtle doves / your OTP?
I really dislike questions like these because while I love certain romances and characters it is never intensely enough for them to get a specific mention. The one I always think of first though would have to be Adrian and Sydney from Bloodlines by Richelle Mead. They've got a great dynamic and they have such different personalities which I really love.

Three french hens / favourite trilogy
I think for my favourite trilogy I would have to say (this was a tough one) the Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare. There are so many fantastic trilogies but this is one my favourites simply because of the perfect balance of romance and action.

Four calling birds / favourite series
There is actually not very many series I have completely finished, so can I cheat and say Harry Potter? In all honesty though, it would probably be Vampire Academy/Bloodlines by Richelle Mead. I really love her books!

Five golden rings / one ring to rule them all - favourite villain/antagonist? 
I don't want to spoil Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard, but the villain in her books would have to be my favourite. It's just so personal and absolutely heartbreaking and the way the villain goes about things would destroy me, personally, so I think that's an indicator of a damn good villain.


Six geese a-laying / creation is a wonderful thing - favourite world/world building
Can I even say anything other than Harry Potter? When I first read Philosopher's Stone I had the most vivid image of what Diagon Alley looked like and I honestly cannot let go of it no matter how many times I watch the movies or read a sentence that contradicts what I think. It was so magical and real to me which was incredible.

Seven swans a-swimming / a character who is a "fish out of water" 
For sure Claire from the book I'm currently reading (as I write this), Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. She is kind of just thrown into a whole new world essentially, very unexpectedly and suddenly. Claire is forced to adapt and survive and basically pretend to be someone she isn't but I think she is doing a great job (so far).

Eight maids a-milking / fictional food you wish you could taste
This is going to sound ridiculous, considering all the cool stuff that is in Harry Potter and the like but I have to vivid food memories from my childhood books. The first being goatsmilk from Heidi by Johanna Spyri - the way she described it throughout the whole book made me long to be up on the Swiss Alps with Heidi and the Grandfather drinking the most delicious goastmilk in the world. My second memory is from the Famous Five by Enid Blyton with their cucumber sandwiches and pop. I've always wanted to go on a picnic with those five!

Nine ladies dancing / dancing is just one skill of a lady - favourite kickass female lead
Without a doubt Feyre from A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J Maas! Feyre is such a badass and is so strong, but she also shows some weakness which I really love. She is just a fantastic character in a fantastic series.

Ten lords a-leaping / favourite male lead
This was actually really difficult, but I've decided to go with Jon Snow from A Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin (or Game of Thrones). He is very strong in his convictions, with a sense of loyalty and he is just an all around cool guy. Definitely one of my favourites!

Eleven pipers piping / favourite book to movie soundtrack
Hold onto your hats everyone, because I don't have a favourite but I love a gazillion so I think I'll just give you a list of the standouts and you can look them up.
Harry Potter obviously - specific songs would be Farewell to Dobby (this is first because I'm currently listening to it - so beautiful), Harry and Hermione, Lily's Theme, A Window to the Past, Godrics Hollow Graveyard, Hermione's Parents, and Harry's Sacrifce.
The whole Poldark soundtrack
Narnia - seriously go listen to it because you will not regret it (particular favourites include From Westernwood to Beaversdam, Only the Beginning of the Adventure, and The Wardrobe).
There is also, of course, Atonement, Pride and Prejudice, The Hunger Games, Lord of The Rings... I could go on and on and on but I won't. I think I've given you enough!

Twelve drummers drumming / it's the end of the song - favourite book conclusion 
Without a doubt the end of the Infernal Devices. Heartbreaking and lovely and the same time - it is the very definition of bittersweet.

And there we have it! I'm sorry I went a little crazy with the soundtracks, but I promise I restrained myself. I hope you enjoyed this tag today and I would love to hear your answers!

Tynnika